By Jef Conn
National Association of REALTORS® needs you. Yes, you! Committee applications to serve on NAR committees in 2020 are due May 1, 2019—that’s tomorrow! There will be other real estate professionals serving our industry on these committees; why not you?
Take a look at the available committees and the process for selecting members here: https://www.nar.realtor/national-leadership/committee-members-liaisons
Find a committee that sounds interesting to you—one where you can add some input. Keep in mind, you’re not applying to sit there but be an active member of the committee. The committee level is where changes, improvements, and processes begin at the association.
Be sure to make your first choice as well as a couple others that you’re interested in. Keep in mind there are many people who apply for some committees, so always have a backup plan.
What to do when selected:
Committees will be finalized at the end of September 2019, at which time you’ll be notified if you’ve been chosen to serve. Now what? Don’t worry, keep reading… I’ll walk you through what you should do to make sure you make the most impact during your time on the committee.
- Reach out to the incoming chair and vice chair and introduce yourself. Ask questions about the committee and review last year’s minutes from meetings. This will help you understand what the group is working on and where things are headed.
- Ask your chair and co-chair if there is a returning member on the committee that you can reach out to and discuss the committee. They will share that info with you. Simply call and introduce yourself to that committee member.
- Depending on the committee, you may have a conference call or in-person meeting prior to the REALTORS® Legislative Meetings & Trade Expo in Washington, D.C., in May 2020. Be sure you attend those calls or meetings so you can give input into the on-site meeting.
- Don’t miss the meetings in D.C. as well as the REALTORS® Conference & Expo meetings in the fall. You will have committee meetings during these times and it’s very important you participate!
What to do if you didn’t get selected:
If you didn’t get selected, that’s okay. Here’s what you should do.
- Attend the REALTORS® Legislative Meetings & Trade Expo and the REALTORS® Conference & Expo and sit in on the committees you are interested in joining. Listen to what the group is talking about and working on.
- Introduce yourself to the committee chair and co-chair and let them know you have an interest in serving.
- Reach out to your local and state associations and let them know you have an interest in serving on a committee and ask if they have any advice on how to make that happen.
- Apply again in 2020! If you don’t apply, you won’t get in.
I often find myself enjoying serving on a committee far more than I initially thought I would. The friendships and business relationships you make with other committee members are life-long. Remember: You get out of a committee what you put into it. Don’t be silent. Be an active participant and take everything you learn back to your local and state associations. Share what you learn!
See you at the next committee meeting!
Jef Conn, CCIM, SIOR, is a commercial agent specializing in industrial, office, and investment properties with Coldwell Banker Commercial in Lubbock, Texas. Jef served as the 2017 president of his local association and currently serves as Region 1 vice president and executive board member for Texas REALTORS®. Connect with Jef on LinkedIn or via email: JConn@CBCWorldwide.com